20 September 2010

this story begins in the middle





when I get home from a big trip, I like to let things sit for a while. I like to let things float around in my head while I settle back into the business of everyday. I put the images away and let the proverbial dust settle. I am slow to process, so slow. but I think this is because when I'm traveling, I am all the way in it. up to my elbows, up to my eyeballs, up to my everything in whatever is happening around me. and I love when I'm in it, I live for the times when I'm in it but one day mushrooms into the next and I am too close to what's happening. I can't see it, not really. it's only when I pull back that the whole thing finally comes roaring into focus.

this summer, we took a trip back home. when we do this, it's big. it's three weeks and a few different states, it's a trip that starts in the midwest, somersaults into the south and then loops back to the midwest again. it's three weeks of family and friends and home-cooked meals and hours on the road. it's spectacular thrifting and fleamarket sundays and sticky, sweaty skin. it's mosquito bites and too many cherry slushies and maybe a few arguments and definitely a few meltdowns. it's humidity so thick it can be carved, it's grandparents and swimming pools and movie nights and cousins and cornfields for days. it's backyard croquet and the sound of cicadas at dusk and overwhelming waves of nostalgia. it's everything a trip back home should be.

dear people, I'm done processing said trip home. expect a parade of images this week. starting here and now with the ladies lounge in the old chattanooga choo choo hotel. chandeliers and checkered bathroom floors, I am a sucker for such things. tennessee fell somewhere near the middle of the end of this epic trip but it feels like the perfect place to begin.

23 comments:

  1. huzzah! cannot wait to see it unfold, my darlin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh!! if these two images are indicative of the rest of your trip, then i can hardly wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chattanooga choo choo hotel...Really? Makes me want to stay there just because of the name...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I can't wait for the parade. Your images make confetti fall from the sky. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've remained a rather quiet reader, but I just had to say, your photos, your words, you, are delightful and someone to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, I am a complete and hopeless sucker for nostalgia right now. Your words made me practically fall down. I cannot wait for the images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, how you describe being in it, up to your elbows. i get that. slow processing is like percolating goodness.

    i can't wait to see what comes next after the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, your description of summer is wonderful and makes me nostalgic for being a kid during summertime! Now I want to go on a summer road trip (too late!). Can't wait to read/see the rest and live vicariously through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm cherry slushies. i want to be a kid again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great snaps - they go so well together.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am the same way. I can't wait to read and to see what you thought and saw. If that makes sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your writing gives me a vision and makes me want to experience the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely. Your words are lovely. I know I'm a pest about this, but I really, really see a book in your future - and ours!!! Everyone who loves your words. LOVE you sweet daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love this! you make the midwest sound so great...well i guess in the summertime it is pretty great. :) can't wait to hear the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hula! you are so fantastic.
    that is all i have to say about that.

    well. and. you make me happy.
    this makes me happy.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is there really such a thing as too many cherry slushies? I do love cicadas. Summer isn't summer without them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely looking forward to your road trip. Although it took you time to process. You certainly painted an amazing picture of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. glad you had a spectacular trip! so wish i could've seen you while you were in chattanooga, the choo-choo is literally a block from where i live!!! next year you must promise to come see me for an hour!!! :) love you andrea :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How oh HOW did you visit Chattanooga and not get in touch with me? Did you get it touch with Cat?? We both live like a few blocks from the Choo-Choo. Love the Southside of Chattanooga. We've spent many an evening killing time there: chucking crackers at the giant koi, rescuing little ones from the train you're "not supposed to climb on". The Choo Choo is not as cool as it could be, but it's worth walking around and looking UP.
    Thanks for sharing my hometown with all your readers. Peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks so much, everyone. I hope you know how much your kind words mean to me. xo

    cat and katie-- if I'd known we were going to be spending any time at all in chattanooga, I totally would have emailed you both! but it was such a last minute decision! next time for sure, friends! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. love your polaroid snaps! did you take them with the old sx-70 film or did you used the new film of the impossible project? they're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like such an amazing trip! I can't wait to see more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. had the same road trip experience this summer. we will have lots to chat about when you are in town!

    ReplyDelete