26 June 2007

self portrait #43



home as natural environment: I am at home in my home. even though I don't own it, even though it's the third house we've inhabited in the span of a year. indeed, home is where you hang your hat but also where you hang your child's paintings. it's where you stack your favorite books, where you make the beds day after day and eat pancakes for supper. it's where you plant little flowers and look out the kitchen window and have arguments.

these are the things that define natural environment. this is the stuff that roots are made of-- tendrils that grow slowly just beneath the surface before expanding and spriraling deep into place. before you know it, you're home.

(more natural environment self portraits are here)

9 comments:

  1. Lovely portrait and post, as always...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ethereal and lovely! colors: perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your portrait, it looks so cozy... like home should be (I wish mine was more like that right now).

    This is my favourite quote on homes, from my favourite film Garden State:

    Andrew Largeman: You know that point in your life when you realize that the house that you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of the sudden even though you have some place where you can put your stuff that idea of home is gone.

    Sam: I still feel at home in my house.

    Andrew Largeman: You'll see when you move out it just sort of happens one day one day and it's just gone. And you can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you make the beds? :) cutie feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. home is the heart...

    brightest of blessings to you ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful words!

    ps--i just gotta say i'm so in love with your new banner that every time i see it i want to kiss my computer screen...heehee...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coming out of lurkdom to say that is a delicious picture :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I love that your home is a place where you have pancakes for supper!
    smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have inspired me to make my current (and hopefully temporary) apartment as homey as I can. we are in the midst of relocation and I wonder why bother, but if you can make a home 3 different places within a year, I think I ought to give it a try, too.

    thanks for the inspiration! this is a great post. ;)

    ReplyDelete